July 23, 2010

Hot for Haupt, Jewelry

At age 26, jewelry designer, and New Yorker, Lauren Haupt has much to brag about. Her business, which launched in 2007, has gotten an enormously positive response. "There’s no greater compliment than a return customer," Haupt gushes. "I’m so thrilled to see that happening over the past few years." Her goal: to create well-constructed jewelry that can be worn with ease and style every day, and this certainly parallels the delicate collections showcased on HER SITE.

Here, I talk with Lauren on her line, inspirations, and what's in store for the future.

Can you pinpoint the moment you knew jewelry was your passion?
In college, I took some metals and jewelry classes on a whim and finally felt like I had found a creative outlet for myself. I have always loved working with my hands and that's what designing and creating jewelry is all about.

Where do you find inspiration?
Books, magazines, blogs, and New York City itself. In terms of design, I pay close attention to lines, shapes, colors in packaging, fonts, furniture, and architecture.

What's your design philosophy?
I often think about light, shine, and the play of positive and negative space. I blend elements in terms of how I think they will ultimately make the wearer feel fantastic.

Can we look forward to new designs in the future?

I hope to have some great new cast sterling pieces available before the holiday season. Pieces that are similar in aesthetics to
Wings, Forever.
I love the weight and feel of solid pieces and I believe wearing them bestows an empowering feeling.


Top Picks:
Ascending Wing, Forever ($120)
B/W
($45)
Coalescence ($42)

No comments:

Post a Comment